Adelaide and Surrounds Danger and Warnings
Personal Security in Adelaide and Surrounds, South Australia
Adelaide and its surrounding areas are considered safe for both locals and visitors. However, there are still some precautions that one should take when living or visiting the region. Here are some of the safety and security concerns to be aware of while in Adelaide and Surrounds:
Dangers and Warnings
- Crime rates in Adelaide are relatively low compared to other Australian cities, but still, it is advisable to be cautious and vigilant at all times, especially at night
- Car-jackings and robberies, sometimes involving violence, do sometimes occur
- Burglaries and theft commonly happen in residential areas and car parks, regardless of the time of day
- Drink spiking and sexual assault is a concern around places like Hindley Street in Adelaide City Center
- Intruders and animals such as snakes or spiders may pose a risk outside urban areas, so be careful when exploring parks, reserves or rural areas
Personal Security TipsTo prevent becoming a victim of crime, consider taking these precautions:
- Avoid travelling alone at night or in deserted areas and instead make use of public transport, taxis, or other safe modes of transportation.
- Always be aware of your surroundings, and avoid carrying excessive valuables or large amounts of cash. Consider storing your wallet or purse inside your jacket or bag, keeping it close to your body, and out of sight
- Use only reputable accommodation providers, and make sure all doors and windows are secure when in your room or home
- When out drinking, always watch your drink, and only consume beverages that you have seen being prepared in front of you. Consider using a drink cover that lets you keep your drink with you at all times
- Be cautious when approached by unfamiliar people, and always keep your phone charged and with you.
- Remember to keep a first aid kit and a flashlight in your car if traveling outside urban areas, as well as plenty of water and food